[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: 10KV RMS -at- 300MA for less than $100

-- BEGIN included message

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tue, 11 Mar 1997 18:32:08 -0700
From: kcravens <kcravens-at-echo.sound-dot-net>
To: Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
Subject: Re: 10KV RMS -at- 300MA for less than $100

At 08:45 PM 3/10/97 -0600, you wrote:

>Fellow Coilers,
>Yes, 10KV RMS -at- 300ma for less than $100 delivered in the USA.
>
>I have run across a transformer that is just about perfect for Tesla Coil
>work, and I want to let you all in on it.
Herbach and Rademan have 100 of these transformers...
                          (SNIP)

98 now (big grin) ...and the guy said they were goin' fast!

>I bought two of these and wired the  primaries in anti-parallel. This makes
>the phase of the two secondaries *opposite*. That allows me to take the
>inner wires of each secondary and wire them together so that the two
>*outer* wires of the secondaries are oppositely phased. In other words, the
>total series output is now 10,000 volts AC RMS (14KV Peak!) at 300 ma.

                               (Snip)

"Sounds" easy...but I'm electrically challenged! (Stay tuned for some future
"dumb questions" on that)

                             (Big Snip)

>Hope that this is something useful for all of you. This is not exactly a
>pole pig, but two of these will deliver 3,000 VA at continuous duty. Not
>bad!
>
>Fr. Tom McGahee

Fr. McGahee,
Just what I was lookin' for by way of a power supply (had 6 neon 9K
60ma's...but 2 died, and I fear the rest are sure to follow)

Question: I made four rolled poly/alum caps, approx. .017mfd each...I
parallel all four for about .0668 mfd total. This does pretty well with 4 or
5 9K 60ma neons for my little coil, and I was wonderin'...will that still be
pretty close to what I'd need with the 10K 300ma setup described above? (I
know I'll have to re-tune the primary a bit, but i have 3-4 turns either way
to play with) I'll run it thru the tesla programs I have, and see what they say.
Thanks again for lettin' us in on the good deal "mini-pigs" ;o) Can't wait
ta get my neon-murderin' little hands on those babies!

ken "closer to real coilin'" cravens

ps...how r u doin' with the idiots' guide?  (I'm lookin' forward to readin'
some "not quite so technical" but surely very educational articles)

-- END included message