[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: 2 simple questions - SCR devices - continued

-- BEGIN included message

At 09:57 AM 3/12/97 -0600, you wrote:
>1. SCRs are not a resistive device - because they are a semiconductor, they do
>have a pretty constant voltage drop across them (as I recall, 2 diode drops
>when conducting, e.g. 1.4 volts).  Large SCRs look like hockey pucks (and are
>called hockey pucks) and are used in arrays to switch DC to AC so that HVDC
>power lines can be converted back to AC for distribution.  they can handle a
>thousand amps or more easily. If we figure a peak current of 1000 amps, then
>the dissipation across the SCR is 1.4 KW at the instant of the peak.  If we
>are driving the tank circuit with 100V from a bank of capacitors, then the
>loss of 1.4 V is no big deal (97.6 v instead of 100v - there's that magic
>megawatt again)

Thanks, you just taught me something I never knew about SCR's...  And that
pretty much eliminates the main concern I had about using an SCR to drive a
primary circuit at low voltage.

I guess the only way to know for sure is to do it, or to find someone who
has done it.... anyone? :)

Chris C.

-- END included message