[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Optimal Quenching

  Date:
        Fri, 14 Mar 1997 14:34:15 -0500 (EST)
  From:
        FutureT-at-aol-dot-com
    To:
        tesla-at-pupman-dot-com

Malcolm, All,

I agree that maximum energy should be transfered at ~1/2kF, and this is
why I
didn't trust my original results.  I did some more work last night on my
transistor "gap" system, and my original concerns were well grounded,
indeed
various flaws were uncovered. The tuning of the system was incorrect in
the k
= .22 arrangement, and this helped to throw off the results.  Also, the
"biasing" of the bipolar transistor was incorrect, causing weird voltage
spikes in the primary.  Under these conditions, the generator may have
been
driving the coil directly, to some degree, instead of allowing the
primary to
ring at its natural frequency.   Another problem was that too much of
the
primary energy was bypassing the (turned off) transistor and ringing
down
through the power supply -- I had to add a larger choke to stop this,
but
there's still some leakage.  After making these changes, the system
behaved a
lot better, but I still don't trust it too much.  But at least now, I
got the
best secondary output using a ~9 uS quench which is much more in line
with
expectations.  Center frequency is 240 kHz, and side frequencies (which
show
up at longer quench times) are as reported previously.

Malcolm, thanks for your comments, it sounds as if your experiments were
more
sophisticated than mine.  I'd be interested to hear a description of the
test
set-up you used for your experiments.  Some time ago, I had a discussion
with
Bert H. regarding just when splitting occurs.  His PSPICE models showed
NO
splitting before ~1/2kF.  Are you saying that splitting occurs at or
beyond
1/2 cycle, but that it does not become "troublesome" (noticeable, or
possible
racing sparks, etc.) until after ~1/2kF?  Is it a matter of degree?  Is
PSPICE correct?  I'd be most interested to hear your views.

Towards optimal coiling,

John Freau

<< Hi all,