[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

RE: H&R Transformers

  Date:
        Fri, 14 Mar 1997 12:38:00 -0500 (EST)
  From:
        Benson_Barry%PAX5-at-mr.nawcad.navy.mil
    To:
        tom_mcgahee-at-sigmais-dot-com
    CC:
        tesla-at-pupman-dot-com

TRANSFORMER, PHOTOCOPIER, H & R
Hi Fr. Tom McGahee, All,
     I started using these transformers after seeing
a system built with them in the T.C.B.A. news.  I have been
able to get 56" of spark with 120VAC before tripping the
breaker with a 6" X 27" X #18 gauge magnet wire wound
secondary terminated with a 4 X 20" toroid using a 0.06 uF
capacitor and 14 point X 10" diameter X 1725 RPM driven
rotary wheel using 8-32 stainless steel screws with 4
parallel sets of 1/8" stationary tungsten rods.

When I first bought a pair of these transformers 10 years
ago I cooked both of them.  The high voltage winding lead out
was put too close to the low voltage side of the winding.
When stressed with Tesla coil use without protective gaps
it arced over and made one the transformers useless.  I
rebuilt the other by scraping off the carbonized insulation
and repotting with RTV.  I now run with safety gaps and
a 4" X 3" X 1" cross section cored common mode choke
with 100 turns for each side.  This limits the current and
protects the transformers from RF spikes.  I ordered a
new transformer recently that came with silicon rubber
insulated wires for the high voltage lead.  This is a vast
improvement.

These are serious transformers.  They are like mini
pole pigs.  I suppose that if you put one in oil that it
would be indestructible.  I have been thinking of using
six of these transformers with primaries in series parallel
for running 10 KW off of 220 VAC.

Barry