[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

RE: MIME

  Date:
        Mon, 17 Mar 97 06:54:29 UT
  From:
        "William Noble" <William_B_Noble-at-msn-dot-com>
    To:
        "Tesla List" <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>

I don't think that there is much choice about MIME or UUENCODE or HTML
or
whatever.  When you compose a mail message, it has to be encoded somehow
pass through the net to the server and back again.  It does seem to me
that
something is happening in the server though that is messing up the MIME
formats - normally your mail reader should take care of the mime and you
shouldn't see it.  At least that's the case with my reader (microsoft
outlook
or microsoft exchange, via MSN).  Thus, when I do see the mime encoded
material, I know there is something wrong with the encoding.  I think
what is
happening is that the server is either not decoding the MIME material
before
sending it back out, or is adding some new information at the front of
the
message (like a blank line, maybe??) that messes up the mime stream.
Anyway,
the point of all this is that using mime or not using mime is not always
choice.  But HTML can be avoided.