[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Post-toasted neon

Subject:
        Post-toasted neon
  Date:
        Tue, 18 Mar 1997 11:42:47 -0500 (EST)
  From:
        tesla-at-america-dot-com (Bob Schumann)
    To:
        tesla-at-pupman-dot-com

Not a happy hello,

I toasted my 12kv-at-60ma franceformer. Damn. I was using a variac
and it must have been the 140VAC. Now when I plug in the transformer
I get 1 quick big spark and then it starts smoking around the
HV bushing.

I have a couple of questions.

1) Does the smoke most probably come from the insulation or
   from the windings or both.

2) If unpotted, is it possible to remove the spools and rewind
   them or does this require a certain machine. I would think
   the secondary windings might be the 'hair' type wire and
   easily broken. I would think that the core of the transformer
   is still good.

I found a price for a new Magnatek (formerly Jefferson) $122.68 OUCH!

Bob Schumann

tesla-at-america-dot-com
http://www.america-dot-com/~tesla