[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

loose coupling

Subject:
        loose coupling
  Date:
        Sun, 16 Mar 97 09:06:38 UT
  From:
        "Robert Davis" <Davis_Lewis-at-msn-dot-com>
    To:
        tesla-at-poodle.pupman-dot-com

Hello, I am new to the list and am in the process of designing and
building my first (small) coil and have a couple of questions.

  I am a little puzzled as to why Tesla coils should be loosely
coupled.  Is
this due to the high turns ratio (for the extra voltage gain, although,
as I
understand it most of the voltage gain is due to the Q of the secondary
at
resonance) resulting in a high secondary inductance compared with the
primary
or that the degree of flux linkage between the primary and secondary
should be
low for some reason?

  I have also found difficulty in finding a good book on Tesla's work,
could
anyone recommend a suitable title.

Thank you in advance, I look forward to receiving your reply(s).

Rob Davis.