[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: rolled caps, a new twist

      Date:
           Thu, 20 Mar 1997 16:19:57 -0500
      From:
           chuck seguin <seguinc-at-algonquinc.on.ca>
        To:
           Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>

> >Kristian Ukkonen wrote:
> >>
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> The idea of applying oil to plates before rolling is not new - the
> >> reason why it's not used is that the rolling should be next to
> >> impossible with the oily ldpe.. With stacked caps it works.
> >>
> >> One new idea is to put thin kraft-paper between layers and the
> >> paper _really_ helps the oil to spread between plates.
> >>
> >>   Kristian.

> 42Kristian,
> >
> >Thank you for sharing that info.  I like the idea of the craft paper in
> >between layers.
> >
> >How does the paper change the capacitance?
> >
> >Chuck
> >

> Chuck,
>
> The kraft paper makes the cap mucch more rugged and less likely to break
> down, helps distribute or wick the oil where it is needed and, in
> general,
> improves the life span of such caps.
>
> The down side is a slight reduction in capacitance and an incerease in
> dielectric losses.  Neither of which is even moderately significant.
>
> Snuuber poly caps use this construction due to the harsh pulse action
> they
> must survive.  The best high energy discharge caps however lose the
> paper
> for max energy transfer.
>
> Richard Hull, TCBORRichard,

Where can I find info on this effect of max energy transfer?  Are there
reported tests of people who
have designed and built capacitors?  As well, is there a good source of
engineering details in resonance
designs and practices?  I've had a chance to read and enjoy a book by
someone associated with the
International Tesla Society ( I'm sorry for forgetting the name).  This
book, if I remember, is written
by...Resonance Research... or something.

Thanks in advance, Richard.

p.s. I imagine you are the one responsible for TCBOR since I see your
name many times.  Hope to exchange good
ideas in the near future, possibly meet in person.

Chuck