[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: bunch of questions

  Date:
        Fri, 21 Mar 1997 06:56:28 -0500 (EST)
  From:
        tesla-at-america-dot-com (Bob Schumann)
    To:
        Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>

>Subject:
>        bunch of questions
>  Date:
>        Thu, 20 Mar 1997 17:04:31 -0800
>  From:
>        Calle Laakkonen <laakkone-at-icenet.fi>
>    To:
>        Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
>

>Hello all !
>My secondary coil is almost ready and I need some info.
>Should the secondary coil be loose coupled ?

I change the couplings on the coils I have built until I
get the best results. For me, this coupling is not the same
from coil to coil; they seem to change from coil to coil.
If you make your secondary so that it is easily adjusted,
you can play around with the coupling until you find the
best results. I made a mount for my secondary that has an
outside diameter which is equal to the inside diameter of
my secondary. This way I have telescoping action and can
easily slide my secondary up and down on the mount for
easy coupling adjustments.

>What size should the primary be when my secondary is about
>40 inches tall and 4,4 inches in diameter.

40 inches.

I am being facetious here. Your secondary should actually be
cut in half. Take a look at the ratio of your secondary length
to its diameter - its 9:1

Most coilers use a 5:1 ratio or less. The reasoning behind this
is that you want as much of the secondary WITHIN the field that
is produced by the primary coil. Unless you have a large primary,
the top section of your 40 inch secondary will never see the
field produced by the primary. My small coil has a secondary
of 15 inch length on 4 inch PVC. I have gotten 36 inch discharges
from it. Cut your secondary in half and now you have 2!

>I'm using 28 AWG wire and I need to know is that good size for
>this sized coil ? It 'accidently' got little bigger that I thought.
>How to tune the primary coil ?

28 Guage will work but in the future when you make a magnet
wire purchase, go for a thicker guage so that the secondary
can handle more current. If someone asked me what is the guage
used most often in Tesla coils, I would say 22 guage.

Get coiling!

Bob Schumann

tesla-at-america-dot-com
http://www.america-dot-com/~tesla