[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Tesla Coil Newbie

Sam Fischbach wrote:

> Hello, I'm a 16 year old high school student, who would like to do an
> interesting high-voltage elctronic project. :)
>
>         Anyway, I have some questions to ask.
>
>         Firstly, does anyone have plans for a first time, inexpensive, yet
> fairly impressive coil? I am familiar with electronic concepts, but
> have rarely put them into practice.
>
>         Secondly, could any of you tell me what precautions should be taken
> with a project such as this? I've never worken with high-voltages
>  before this.
>
>         Lastly, I rescently purchaced at auction a 1967 Sony Video
>  Recorder (VTR), which came with an old, custom B&W TV monitor (serial#
> CUM-18OU, by Admiral). I was wondering whether or not there was
> anything usefull that I could cannibalize from the TV for the coil,
> (such as vacuum tubes).
>
>         Thanks,
>                 Sam Fischbach
>                 wolfgang-at-pantek-dot-com

Hi Sam,
	Welcome to Tesla Land. All the information you need to build a coil can
be found at: ftp://nic.funet.fi/pub/sci/electrical/tesla/ , but I think
that you need to find a mentor. If you mention the city that you live
in, you might find that there is a  Tesla coil enthusisast nearby, or
you could check out the local Ham Radio Club. Many hams also build Tesla
coils, and other interesting devices. The most important thing to
remember is that high voltage can have a fatal bite for the careless or
uninformed.

Good Luck,

Storey Clamp
San Antonio, Texas