[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Questions Questions

Subject:
        Questions Questions
  Date:
        Tue, 25 Mar 1997 00:06:10 -0500
  From:
        "George W. Ensley" <erc-at-coastalnet-dot-com>
    To:
        tesla-at-pupman-dot-com

Hello,
I have been attempting to optimize my 6" coil with some success. What i
have
noticed is that the coupling coefficient seems to vary a good deal. Any
number of factors seem to affect it, breakout, toroid height, toroid
size,
coil height, etc. I am using K=(Fh-Fl)/Fr to find K is this correct?

It has been interesting to note that while using a large toroid, 7"x 30"
which was difficult to break out, the system exhibited all the signs of
over
coupling. When a small tab was added to assist breakout, all of the
signs
went away and the best spark to date was achieved.

Some how i get the feeling that the signal generator and the O-scope
aren't
telling me all i want to know. What is the k of the system while in
operation? How can i check it?

-------------

The best thing that ever happened to my TC was when a fan failed and i
melted down my RQ pvc gap. I was forced to build a new gap using a shop
vac
a plastic 5 gallon bucket and some 5/8 copper pipe. It's noisy but my
sparks
went from 48" to 67" with no other change.

I have observed a wave shape change in the output of the coil that is no
doubt the results of better quenching. It is now a single hump with a
fairly
rapid rise and slower ring down. Previously a double hump was evident
with
the second being much smaller than the first but still causing the event
last almost twice as long.

I have been attempting to follow the discussion on optimal quenching but
lack some basics. What was i seeing? Is that the beat notch or was it
just
the gap trying to fire again? How are these measurements made? What is
the
test setup?

I was pleased to see Richard Hull on The Learning Channel tonight with a
big
TC running in the background. Interesting stuff water.