[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: cap in parallel to neon xfrmr

  Date:
        Wed, 26 Mar 1997 09:57:07 -0700 (MST)
  From:
        Chip Atkinson <chip-at-xig-dot-com>
    To:
        Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>

On Wed, 26 Mar 1997, Tesla List wrote:

> Subject:
>         cap in parallel to neon xfrmr
>   Date:
>         Wed, 26 Mar 1997 16:07:07 +0200
>   From:
>         Kenneth Aaron <kennetha-at-geocities-dot-com>
>     To:
>         tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
>

> If you put the HV cap in parallel to the neon xfrmr won't you short
> out or at least overload the xfrmr ?
> ----------------------------
> Kenneth Aaron
> E-mail : kennetha-at-geocities-dot-com
> http://www.geocities-dot-com/SunsetStrip/8736/
> ----------------------------

No.  For two reasons, one of which I am positive about, and the other I
believe to be true.

The first is that neon sign transformers are designed to be shorted out.
The neon sign has pretty low resistance and so the transformers are
current limited so that a direct short wouldn't hurt it.  In fact, one
time at a neon sign shop, the guy said that it's better to short them
out
if they are going to be energized for any length of time.  I realize now
that the reason is that the voltage drops and the strain on the
insulation
is lower.

The second is that I believe that the neon sign transformer charges the
cap so quickly that much of the time there is little current flowing
through it.

Chip

First Corollary of Taber's Second Law:
        Machines that perturb people get murdered.
               -- Pat Taber