[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: 2 wires

  Date:
        Wed, 26 Mar 1997 18:26:25 -0600 (CST)
  From:
        Bert Pool <bertpool-at-flash-dot-net>
    To:
        Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>

At 12:36 AM 3/26/97 -0600, you wrote:
>Subject:
>        2 wires
>  Date:
>        Tue, 25 Mar 1997 21:11:28 -0800
>  From:
>        Gary Weaver <gweaver-at-earthlink-dot-net>
>    To:
>        tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
>

>I just talked to a friend that is a Professor at the local University.
>He said he had a student that built a Tesla Coil as a class
>project a few years ago.  The student wound the secondary coil with 2
>wires in parallel.  The wires were #24 solded together
>at both ends and both wound on the PVC pipe together side by side.
>
>#24 wire is .0201 diameter.  This would be equal in width to #18 wire
>.043 diameter.  Two #24 wires in parallel would be
>equal to one #21 wire in circular mil area.  Two #24 wires in parallel
>would be equal to one #21 in wire resistance.  Within less
>than 1%.
>
>Has anyone tried this?
>
>This would make the coil longer and may be a disadvantage because of the
>diameter to length ratio.
>
>This gives me an idea.  What if I were to wind a coil with #24 wire then
>wind another coil right over the 1st coil and connect
>them both in parallel.  This would make the diameter to length ratio
>smaller.
>
>Has anyone tried this or know if will work?
>
>Gary Weaver

I am also very curious as to winding a second layer over the first.  The
length of wire of the outer layer would be slightly longer than the
first,
but then again, at the frequencies we are working with, the phase
difference, i.e., voltage difference between adjacent turns would be
negligible.  Has anyone tried this?  I'm interested because I'm thinking
about doing this very thing on a magnifier secondary driver coil.

In desperation, Bert hastily built a Tesla coil out of parts torn from a
toaster, a microwave oven, and his wife's hair dryer. . .

Bert Pool
bertpool-at-flash-dot-net