[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: 2 wires

  Date:
        Thu, 27 Mar 1997 01:28:10 -0600
  From:
        Kerry Ludwig <kilroy-at-bscn-dot-com>
    To:
        Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>

At 12:36 AM 3/26/97 -0600, you wrote:
>Subject:
>        2 wires
>  Date:
>        Tue, 25 Mar 1997 21:11:28 -0800
>  From:
>        Gary Weaver <gweaver-at-earthlink-dot-net>
>    To:
>        tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
>

>I just talked to a friend that is a Professor at the local University.
>He said he had a student that built a Tesla Coil as a class
>project a few years ago.  The student wound the secondary coil with 2
>wires in parallel.  The wires were #24 solded together
>at both ends and both wound on the PVC pipe together side by side.

>Has anyone tried this or know if will work?
>
>Gary Weaver

I have pondered the same idea myself.  I have a few rolls of #27 wire
that
seems small for coiling.  But I thought that if I wound two wires
together
it would it should work well.  Possiblely with a third wire wound on top
of
the first two.  Or even a second pair of wires on top of the first for a
quad-wound coil.  It's seems that this would be similar to the Litz wire
that I have often heard works well for coiling. It should help to cut
down
on the eddy-currents in the secondary's windings.  Better Q?

Anyone know how to calculate the self-capacitance and inductance for a
coil
of this type?

Kerry "Kilroy" Ludwig
Kilroy-at-bscn-dot-com