[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Notches and things

Subject:
            Notches and things
       Date:
            Tue, 25 Mar 1997 17:35:41 -0800
       From:
            Skip Greiner <sgreiner-at-wwnet-dot-com>
         To:
            tesla list <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>

Hi Everyone

This post is partly an experiment. I made a very crude drawing in MSWORD
which I have attempted to attach to this post. I do not know if you will
be able to receive it. It depicts what I think are notches and I wanted
confirmation.

The following applies to my new 17.5 x 24 "secondary which I described a
couple of days ago.

With the toroid sparking the output frequency is about 260khz which is
right on the non powered resonant frequency of the sec/toroid
combination. The strange thing is that the ion cloud has not lowered the
frequency. The frequency varies little if at all from low to high power
inputs.

At very low power inputs where the toroid is just breaking out about 3"
sparks there are four obvious notches before the quench. As I increase
the power to maximum with the streamers out to 56", the quench seems to
take place at the second notch. These two statements are on the basis
that a notch is what I think it is.

I obtain the scope pattern with the scope placed about 10' from the TC.
The probe is connected to a 2' vertical wire attached to a ceiling
rafter. The horizontal scan is set slow to display the energy packets
which are at the mains frequency.

The interesting part is that the rotary is only running at 1800rpm and
the .25" contacts are on a 3.5" radius which gives a very long dwell
time in the millisecond range. My question is how can I be getting a
quench at the second notch with this long dwell time or don't I know
what a notch is.

Comments appreciated

Skip