[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Tesla Coil Understanding

  Date:
        Sat, 29 Mar 1997 04:34:48 -0700
  From:
        "DR.RESONANCE" <DR.RESONANCE-at-next-wave-dot-net>
    To:
        "Tesla List" <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>

You might dig up the article by David Sloan on Tesla coils and resonance
transformers.  It has a lot of math in it but Sloan designed a the
linear
accelerators used by Univ. of Calif. or Caltech.  Sloan was a Tesla coil
builder, ham radio operator, and great experimental physicist.

In his work (published in the 1940-50's) he stated with a loose coupled
oscillator (classic Tesla oscillator) the maximum energy transfer could
not
be less than 50%.  He did state that in the tightly coupled true
resonance
transformer mode (type used by Rich Hull, et al) the energy transfer
values
could go up to around 85 or 90%.

This is not to be confused with peak power where the cap charges for a
relatively long time period and then discharges in a few microseconds
into
the primary.  Peak output power is extremely high with a Tesla system
but
average energy transfer is always less than unity.

If you can't find the Sloan article I will dig around to try to find it
for
you -- it was published in an earlier edition of Nature.