[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Broadcast Capacitors

  Date:
        Sun, 30 Mar 1997 11:58:17 -0500 (EST)
  From:
        richard hull <rhull-at-richmond.infi-dot-net>
    To:
        Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>

At 12:09 AM 3/26/97 -0600, you wrote:

>Hello all,
>             I have come by a bunch of capacitors surplus to some
>broadcasting outfit (TV I think). The manufacturer is "Sangamo". The
>values range from 0.001uF to around 0.0056uF. Peak voltages on the
>units range from 4 kV for the larger capacitance to 6kV for the
>smallest. The casing is brown and cylindrical, dimensions 50mm
>diameter x 50mm high (2" x 2"). Quoted currents on the cases are in
>Amps RMS at 1000kc (1MHz). Does anyone have info on these? I am
>interested in the dielectric and possible suitability for discharge
>applications. They look like ideal tuning caps for tube/transistor
>coil.
>
>Malcolm

Malcolm,

These are probably transmitting micas.  Maybe reconstituted, but micas
nonetheless and should be fine for coiling if you observe the voltage
ratings.  It is unusual for any cap other than micas to have and AC RMS
RF
amp rating on the case.

Richard Hull, TCBOR