[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: microwave trans

  Date:
        Mon, 31 Mar 1997 07:22:18 +0300
  From:
        Kenneth Aaron <kennetha-at-geocities-dot-com>
    To:
        Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>, tesla-at-pupman-dot-com

>> so 6000V is enough ?
>> some guys on the list say at least 10k or better 12k !
>> i'll have some problems getting my house wiring to
>> put out power for 5 transformers.
> ---------------------------- >>
>
>Kenneth,
>
>10 or 12kV is better, but 6kV will work fine.  There are many ways to
>build a
>Tesla coil.  I'm assuming you'll be using a rotary, with a couple of
>separate
>series gaps to help quench.  Just be sure to run the rotary electrodes
>"close".  The biggest possible problem is that your series gaps may need
>frequent cleaning due to clogging, you may want to pull some air through
>the
>gaps also to help the quenching.
>
>Select a capacitor of the correct size to give resonant charging so that
>the
>voltage at the gap will be higher.  I used .078uF in my 7kV set-up.
>
>If you use static gaps only, quenching may be difficult.  But then I
>haven't
>done much work with static gaps at higher power levels.   There are
>others on
>the list who have optimized the capabilities of static gaps at higher
>power
>levels.  But in general, higher voltages allow for using a greater
>number of
>series static gaps which makes the quenching easier.
>
>If you do want to use four (or five) transformers for a higher voltage,
>you
>could add some external inductive ballast to limit the current, thus
>keeping
>it within your specifications.  I have a feeling that the insulation
>will
>break down using 5 transformers unless they are placed in oil.
>
>Good luck,
>
>John Freau

I wasn't thinking of a rotary, since i'm new to this i want to keep it
simple.
a spark gap would be simpe enough if the spark could jump across it.

second question : I now have 2 microwave transformers,
one 2000v 600w  , the other 2200v 1200w. Putting them is series is
dangerous, don't you think ? the smaller one could burn out ?
how can i limit the current on the big transformer without a variac ?

I'm still looking out for some lower power transformers but if i don't
find
any i'll have to live with what i have.
Kenneth Aaron
E-mail : kennetha-at-geocities-dot-com