[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: New Coil/First Run (15 1/4" dia)

Subject:  Re: New Coil/First Run (15 1/4" dia)
  Date:   Tue, 29 Apr 1997 05:11:15 -0400
  From:   Michael Bauer <mbauer-at-execpc-dot-com>
    To:   Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>

I glad to hear you finally were able to get sparks.  It sounds like you
have
it pretty well tuned in order for it to work so well at first power.
You
mentioned that you have both caps in parallel.  Did you need to have
both to
make the primary tune up, or just trying to get as much capacitance in
the
primary a possible?  On another note, do you always run your coils
outside?
I imagine your garage isn't large enough for huge sparks, so outside
makes
sense.  My house and garage are only 20 feet apart with a basketball
hoop
and a fence to also limit the outdoor area.  I have one of those city
lots
with the garage in back and driveway along side the house, so there is a
limit of how big a spark I can throw without hitting something
damaging.   I
also have 3 ham radio antennas in the back yard that really need to be
disconnected.  My coil is nearly done with only main feed wiring and
toroid
to complete.  I have the rotary and primary wiring done, and have had
the
rotary sparking away without the secondary coil installed so I know my
caps
can hold for a while.  I am getting temporarily sidetracked to work on
the
control panel for my school project instead of finishing the coil
itself.
Does your spark discharge affect the camcorder operation, like make
sparkles
in the picture?  Was your wife present for the first powerup.  Was she
impressed?  My wife would be skeptical that I should ever turn the power
on
again.