[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Tank Capacitance: what is the limit

Subject:  Re: Tank Capacitance: what is the limit
  Date:  Fri, 2 May 1997 23:02:51 -0400 (EDT)
  From:  richard hull <rhull-at-richmond.infi-dot-net>
    To:  Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>

At 02:56 AM 4/29/97 -0500, you wrote:
>Subject:   Re: Tank Capacitance: what is the limit
>  Date:    Mon, 28 Apr 1997 19:16:30 -0700 (PDT)
>  From:    "Edward V. Phillips" <ed-at-alumni.caltech.edu>
>    To:    tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
>

>"In reading Tesla's Colorado Springs Notes I am kept contantly chuckling
>at
>the way he did things that EVEN went against his OWN recommendations (of
>just a page or two before!)"
>        In the real world there's often a big separation between
>theory and practice!
>Ed
>
>Ed,

One of the greatest epiphanies discovered in application engineering.

  The wise accept it and are even willing to admit it in public and then
move on.  They let the world teach them things which augment and enhance
that we they have learned in the pure halls of academe.

 The confused and obstinant cover it up with a lot of math and hand
waving
assuming that some parameter was violated or a technician screwed up.

All who would be successful must yield to this first maxim of
engineering...
the absolute separation of theory and practice.

 Theory is the best average of the all the summed and integrated results
from a lot of similar but not identical experiments with most of the
"important parameters" considered.

Practice is the taking into account of all the lesser important
parameters
for a specific real world case which isn't answering the call to theory
+ or
- 15%.

Richard Hull, TCBOR