[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Spark Propagation

Subject:  Re: Spark Propagation
  Date:   Mon, 5 May 1997 02:05:16 +0300 (EET DST)
  From:   Kristian Ukkonen <kukkonen-at-cc.hut.fi>
    To:   Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>

>   From:    "Alfred A. Skrocki" <alfred.skrocki-at-cybernetworking-dot-com>
>
> The U.V. laser beam would ionize the air thus rendering it more
> conductive and in passing through the screen connected to the Tesla
> coil would conduct the Tesla coil R.F. to the target and the
> conductive path would be completed through ground.

As long as the way to the target and that way to ground is more
economical :) for the spark than striking to the laser and then
to ground (via air/cables/user). You DO have a way both-ways from
the screen.

I have a novel experiment I've planned to do for a rather long
time. Building a N2-laser INSIDE the toroid with a hole in the
toroid where the beam exists. Should be fancy.

> Ultra Violet light which aside from chemical dye lasers is only
> produced by CO2 lasers. I have successfully driven HeNe lasers with

Wrong. CO2-lasers produce IR.

N2-lasers produce UV. (at 314.7 nm if memory serves). It's pretty
easy to build a N2-laser using blumleim-switch - even without
vacuumpump. N2-TEA lasers.

> Again this is becaused you used a HeNe laser instead of a CO2 laser.

It is because the power was WAY too low. (more precily : not enough
ENERGY to ionize "enough" air in short enough TIME). With a powerful
enough laser outputting visible light you can do the same trick as
with UV and IR.

> There were plans for a CO2 laser in the back issues of Scientific
> American some where between 1955 and 1970, it used CO2 and a little
> Nitrogen and it was powered by a neon sign transformer and it could
> burn a hole through the old Gillet steel razor blades. In fact I

Add He and you got the SA design. It IS an inefficient design.

  Kristian.

| Kristian Ukkonen       |  Do as thou wilt shall be the whole of the
law |
| kukkonen-at-alpha.hut.fi  |_____  Chance favours the prepared mind
|-------
| http://www.hut.fi/~kukkonen |  Fear is the mind-killer  |---------