[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

spark gap voltages

Subject:  spark gap voltages
  Date:   Mon, 5 May 97 00:28:47 UT
  From:  "William Noble" <William_B_Noble-at-msn-dot-com>
    To:  "Tesla List" <tesla-at-poodle.pupman-dot-com>

the question was posted - where did the table of spark gap voltages
(reposted
below) come from - answer 1939 handbook of chem and physics
====================REPOST=================
 according to my 1939 edition of the handbook of chem and physics,
copper
melts at 1083 C and boils at 2310 C (and it says it cost 35 cents per
pound in
1917 but only 11 cents per pound in 1939)  I was trying to look up the
annealing tempeture for you and I can't find it anywhere.

anyway, while looking in the handbook, I found a table of spark gap
voltages
(ON pg 1517 if you have the same book) - the table goes from 5 to 300KV,
and
shows the gap voltage for needle points, and spherical electrodes of
2.5, 5,
10, and 25 cm.  of possible interest here, :

KV      2.5 ball        5 ball  needle
5       0.13    0.15    0.42cm length of spark gap
10      0.27    0.29    0.85cm
20      0.58    0.60    1.75
30      0.95    0.94    2.69
50      2.000   1.71    5.20
100             4.77    15.5
300                     54.7

according to another table, lowering air temp increases the gap length,
as
does increasing air pressure.