[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Skin Effect... and More(croft

Subject:       Re: Skin Effect... and More(croft
       Date:   Mon, 05 May 1997 06:42:13 -0700
       From:   Bert Hickman <bert.hickman-at-aquila-dot-com>
         To:   Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>

Tesla List wrote:

> Subject:  Re: Skin Effect... and More(croft
>   Date:   Sun, 4 May 1997 12:13:04 +0500
>   From:   "Alfred A. Skrocki" <alfred.skrocki-at-cybernetworking-dot-com>
>     To:   Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
>
> On Sat, 03 May 1997 21:42:44 -0700 Bert Hickman
> <bert.hickman-at-aquila-dot-com> wrote;
>
> > > Book? What book?
>
> > The book I was refering to was the very excellent "Principles of Radio
> > Communication" 3rd Edition, by John Morecroft, John Wiley & Sons, 1943,
> > pages 177-178. This 1084 page gem is definately worth getting if you
> > can. I'll repeat a bit of my previous post since this book is really
> > interesting...
>
> I'm sold! Any hints on where to find a copy?

Alfred and all,

Unfortunately, no. I've checked all of my usual "used book" haunts on
the Web with little success, so I've now sent my request to a number of
firms that do searches for out of print books. I'm actually trying to
locate the two earlier editions, since Morecroft removed much of the
radio telegraphy material when he went from the 1st to the 2nd edition,
and again when he went to the third, since electron tubes (valves) were
rapidly displacing spark systems. In general, a number of good places
for helping you find used books on the web include:

1. Web-Based Databases/Search Engines:
Advanced Book Exchange:
  http://www.abebooks-dot-com

Bibliofind:
http://www.bibliofind-dot-com

Booksearch Database:
http://bol.advinfo-dot-net:8080/bksearch/owa/nssrchbooksal.main

Interloc
http://www.interloc-dot-com

Powell's Books:
http://www.powells-dot-com

2. News groups that on occasion, will have used books of interest:
misc.book.technical
alt.books.technical
biz.books.technical
rec.radio.amateur
rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors
rec.radio.swap

3. Search Firms that I've sucessfully used before:
Abracadabra Book Search
http://abrabks-dot-com

Anybook:
http://www.anybook-dot-com

Blackwell's:
http://www.blackwell-dot-com

Finally, I've had great success in simply periodically checking local
used book dealers. Fortunately (or unfortunately), technical books don't
move very rapidly - many used book stores don't even stock them, and
many send them to other larger outfits (like Powell's).

The GOOD news is that this book DOES seem to be available every now and
then, UNLIKE the "High Power Electronics" book by Sarjeant.

Happy hunting!

-- Bert --