[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

What do you say to people?

Subject:   What do you say to people?
  Date:    Mon, 5 May 1997 09:07:59 -0400 (EDT)
  From:    Jeremy Bair <pwac-at-flinet-dot-com>
    To:    tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
    CC:    pwac-at-flinet-dot-com

When someone approaches you with these question:

"Why? Why would you build such a crazy device?". or
"What purpose could this device possibly have for you?".
(I'm sure you have heard a thousand other variations)

How would we respond? I am asked this MORE than enough times maybe four
or
five times a day, depending on who is around. I've been asked by my
parents, by friends, and by some nosy teachers (like some who have seen
my
strange photographs, you know, of my secondary, my caps etc).

I simply respond something like:

"I'm recreating an invention by a famous inventor". or
"I am expanding my knowledge in a very entertaining way". or
"Mind your own damn business, teacher!".

I'm interested onto what other people think.

Another note, my mom saw me carry in a 10' x 100' roll of 6 mil
polyethylene, she stared for a while, and when she came in the room, she
saw I had unrolled some 10' sections to make into a rolled cap. She
asked
the questions, I told her "Don't worry about it mom", and she went into
this whole FBI coming to the house thing.

I asked her later (after I rolled the cap... What? Do you think I would
stop in the middle? ;) "Mom, why are you worried", and she responded,
"You have very strange hobbies". But I don't think this is strange at
all, I mean, if there are organizations, mailing lists, and hundreds of
web paging dealing with the subject, I don't think its very strange at
all! To think, 24" sparks possible on my first coil.. WOW.

A new response to the above questions that I developed is:

"Hold your hands apart, about 2 feet. Imagine a solid white crackling
spark connecting your two palms together..."

I found they responded totally different, they seem to take a different
attitude to the whole idea of me spending time and money onto a "small
simple stupid (sometimes dangerous) device".

We need to make a stand, prove to the world that Nikola Tesla didn't die
in vain (or maybe murdered?), his AC induction motors, and his
florescent
light tubes, and his other many inventions including the Tesla Coil
aren't
small, nor stupid, nor simple, nor... well, maybe dangerous :).

The man was a genius, and hardly anybody knows of him. I saw the other
day
on the Discovery Channel a very good production on the life a struggles
of
Albert Einstein, very nicely done, but I have yet to see a Nikola Tesla
picture. I think a full length or at least a discovery channel length
movie sould be made about him. Maybe this has been done, can someone let
me
know if it has?

Thank you for a moment of my opinion.

|Jeremy Bair IRC:DeadBatry
|Email: mailto:pwac-at-flinet-dot-com mailto:deadbatry-at-cycat-dot-com or hotmail-dot-com
|Web page: http://www.flinet-dot-com/~pwac
|Phone: 561-585-4165

<     Thoughts? Comments? Notes? Please place below this line     ;>