[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: RE Subject: 10KV RMS -at- 30

Subject:      Re: RE Subject: 10KV RMS -at- 30
       Date:  Tue, 06 May 1997 21:17:56 -0700
       From:  Skip Greiner <sgreiner-at-wwnet-dot-com>
         To:  Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>

Tesla List wrote:

> Subject:      RE Subject: 10KV RMS -at- 30
>        Date:   Mon, 05 May 1997 16:13:44 GMT
>        From: robert.michaels-at-online.sme-dot-org (Robert Michaels)
>          To:   tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
>
> T>       From: Skip Greiner <sgreiner-at-wwnet-dot-com>

Hi Robert and All

> T>This is a preliminary report on first sparks using a pair of these
> T>transformers with the secondaries series connected for 10kv output and
> T>the primaries connected in anti parallel.
>
>  [ ... ]
>
>         This sound like =excellent= work but it raises some
>         questions:
>
>  [ ... ]
>
> T>I use 1 safety gap across both xformers set at 10kv  and individual
> T>safety gaps across each xformer which are set for 5kv. The gaps do not
> T>fire during operation.
>
>          Did you protect the transformers in any way other than
>          safety gaps (as with chokes, etc. ??)

I have two air wound inductors in series on each leg. I am sure that the
inductance is very low since the diameters are about 1" and the turns
are 30 or 40. No other protection.

> T>The transformers deliver 10kv total open circuit with a primary cap of
> T>.08 and no caps in the resonator winding. The secondary was placed
> about
> T>1" above the top turn of the primary (the exact coupling is yet to be
> T>determined). A 5.5" x 27" toroid was used as a first try.
>
>  [ ... ]
>
>         For those of us who are not "two-transformer" families,
>         it would be really interesting to know if anything can
>         be accomplished with but 1 transformer.  (Likewise for
>         those who are =now= 2-transformer families but may be-
>         come 1-transformer if they can't duplicate your good
>         results!)

The transformers are only rated for 5kv. I am very fearful of the
insulation on the secondaries. Per a previous post I did a major rework
of the secondary terminations and added much needed insulation. One
transformer delivering only 5kv will play hell with you trying to get a
gap to fire thus the requirement to put two in series. Also these two
trannies should be able to deliver 3kw from a strong wall plug, they are
current limited and do not need all of the ancillary equipment reqired
by a pig.

>         Also --
>
>         10-Kv from two transformers -- this means you were using
>         the resonating capacitors with the transformers?

The tesla primary cap acts as the resonating cap for both trannies. The
.08uf was selected because the trannies deliver 5kv each at resonance.
No other resonating caps areused.

>  [ ... ]
>
> T>to get to 6" discharges which is my goal.
>
>         Feet, I would imagine?  (or are you talking about something
>         internal to the transformer?)

Typo. Feet.... YES.

Got 66" today. 72" on the way.

Skip