[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Reflections in Power Transfer

Subject:      Re: Reflections in Power Transfer
       Date:  Thu, 8 May 1997 11:39:43 +1200
       From:  Malcolm Watts" <MALCOLM-at-directorate.wnp.ac.nz>
         To:  tesla-at-pupman-dot-com

Hi all,
        An addendum to my note on this:

     I was pondering the fact that we never see the secondary
ringdown in just a cycle or less when loaded by spark. That means
that no matter what the V/I ratio in the spark, it never equals Zo of
the secondary.
     Turns out the answer is blindingly obvious: We know that a spark
is a non-linear resistance. Matching to Zo requires an ordinary
resistance. Therefore, a proper match never occurs, regardless of the
V/I content of the spark (which changes wrt time anyway). Whether this
helps or hinders the quality of the spark is difficult to tell. It
does allow several cycles of ring where only one might exist (which
may serve to assist streamer formation over a period of time. On the
other hand, full energy never finds its way into the discharge in just
one cycle or part thereof.
     In some early expts, I tested this matching theory using
ordinary resisive loading and found that within the limits of the
admittedly crude experiment, a match is indeed arrived at using R =
Zo as a termination.

Malcolm