[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Golka coil specs

Subject:      Re: Golka coil specs
       Date:  Fri, 9 May 1997 08:27:25 +1200
       From:  "Malcolm Watts" <MALCOLM-at-directorate.wnp.ac.nz>
         To:  tesla-at-pupman-dot-com

Hello all,
            Here are some specs on one of Robert Golka's versions of
Tesla's magnifier.

Cp : 0.2uF
Lp : 1 turn, 51ft diameter

Believe it or not, they say the primary is resonating at 30kHz (a
mile off what the extra coil is resonating at). It says the two
frequencies are pulled together by the high mutual coupling. At a
glance this seems to be a classic case of tuning the primary to the
lower beat frequency.

Secondary:
-  51ft diameter
-  total height of secondary and primary about 8 ft
-  Ns = 26 turns

Transmission line to extra coil about 50 ft

Extra Coil:
- 8ft x 8ft
- Nt = 100 turns
- topload: almost none (bulk of capacitance is Cself)
- Fr claimed to be 50kHz

Gap system: rotary break wheel in series with quench gap
The rotary is made up of a number of wheels looking like saw blades
and hooked in parallel. It is claimed they have used breaks in excess
of 4k/second.

Vc about 44kV (not sure whether that's RMS or peak). It says on the
diagram that Cp is rated at 50kV !!??

Power input: 160kVA

There is a circuit diagram on the next page which shows an ESR in the
primary tank using an ordinary resistor symbol. I think the spark
characteristics have been completely overlooked by many researchers
and are a real key to the way both the primary and secondary behave.
It may be that this is the missing link in analyses attempting to
model running conditions.

    The claim is made that the coil has produced 25MV on occasions but
I personally doubt that. A sanity check says that the discharge length
(said to be in excess of 40') suggests around 600kV/foot which seems
completely out of this world to me. Also, there is no explanation as
to why the coil doesn't spark straight from top to bottom with those
kinds of voltages. They do say that the mag fied from the coil throws
the sparks out and away which is probably true. I think things we now
know about streamer formation and lengthening have completely
nullified those claims. It is claimed that these things were
measured, but no tables are published - in short, suspicious.

    This looks pretty much like the final version of Tesla's original
machine. Time to get the spreadsheets busy.

Malcolm