[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

RE: grounding - this doesn't make sense - wire size

Subject:  RE: grounding - this doesn't make sense - wire size
  Date:   Thu, 8 May 97 14:01:22 UT
  From:   "William Noble" <William_B_Noble-at-msn-dot-com>
    To:   "Tesla List" <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>

ok, now this is interesting, if correct - I can see the need to keep the
ground "solid" at RF freq driving the need for short wire and thick wire
although it seems to me that putting a large steel plate on the floor
might
work better at RF freq (does anyone do this - like run the coil
connected to a
drip pan or something?).  Anyway, I don't see how the current, once in
the
wire, could build up somewhere in the ground, after all, Kirkov's law
still
applies.

[Bill]  snip====
Someone please correct me if I am wrong, but essentially the
point of highest current (the true high current node of the 1/4 wave)
is not necessarily at the base of the coil, but rather down in the
ground system itself.  The wire that the coil is wound with does not
carry the absolute maximum current developed by the coil, even at
the base.  Thinking of it this way, the entire ground system becomes
an integral part of the coil, and the need for a heavy connection
becomes obvious.

Charles Brush
http://www.foundrygroup-dot-com/cbrush