[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

10KV RMS -at- 300MA

       Date: Fri, 09 May 1997 10:03:59 -0700
       From:  Skip Greiner <sgreiner-at-wwnet-dot-com>
         To:  tesla list <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>

Hi All

This will be my last post on this subject at least for a couple of weeks
due to the fact that I will be taking a short leave but my most recent
results may be of interest to owners of these trannies.

On my last runs I have achieved 66" discharges using .08uf cap as the
combined resonator cap and primary cap. The transformers were drawing
about 13A (meter reading) at 117v input. The additional discharge length
was obtained by adjusting the phasing of the rotary gap and the
coupling, which, by the way, has not yet been measured.

At the request of Fr. McGahee I tried two more values of caps to do a
quick check of the effects....054uf and .089uf. Neither seemed to
achieve the same discharge lengths but neither did I fully explore all
of the tuning necessary to rule out different sizes.

Another thing I did do was to further change the phase of the rotary gap
and thereby increase the output voltage of the trannies to 10kv. This
increased the current draw of the trannies to over 20A. I next increased
the cap to .108uf. The gap phasing was again adjusted to give an output
voltage of 10kv. The input current then increased to nearly 30A. After
several minutes of running at this power level the trannies finally
started to get warm. The discharges were running in the 60" to 66" range
and were mostly limited to the room dimensions.

My conclusions at this time are that these transformers can probably
provide 3kva of power to a TC. They will definitely handle caps larger
than what I have tried so far and process much more power than I have
been doing up to this point. I will probably have to redesign another TC
to handle the larger power available.

Please note that although I have been running these transformers very
hard and for extended periods, I have been extremely careful in how I
have treated the transformers. I use synchronous gaps and have been very
careful in increasing the power input a step at a time. I am being
extremely careful in limiting the output voltage to 10kv either by
controlling the phase of the rotary or the size of the primary cap.

Also, as previously explained, I have reworked the transformers to much
better insulate the secondary leads. There are 5kv safety gaps directly
across each transformer and a 10 kv safety gap across the 10kv output
leads.

I will be gone for the next couple of weeks and will not be available to
discuss any of this info until after May 25.

Skip