[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

RE: RE x-ray machine arti

Subject:  RE: RE x-ray machine arti
       Date:  Fri, 09 May 1997 11:05:37 GMT
       From:  robert.michaels-at-online.sme-dot-org (Robert Michaels)
         To:
            tesla-at-pupman-dot-com

This message was originally addressed to NOAH-at-NOAH.ORG
and a carbon copy was sent to you.
N>Oh yes, I have seen these bulbs before. I used to use them when I
N>had fish as a kid! :-) Still, why not a regular bulb. I don't think
the
N>form factor should matter. Do you? It might help to keep the anode
N>far from the cathode, but otherwise...

        Regular bulb okay.

N>Do you have any experience with exposing film? I'd like to make
N>x-ray radiographs at least as good as the ones in the SciAm
N>article. Do you know how long the light bulb technique would
N>need to expose film?

        Start with 5 minutes.   Make test exposure:

        Place sheet film in opaque envelope.  Cover envelope
        with piece of sheet lead (or steel), leaving about 10%
        of envelope not covered.  Expose to x-rays.

        Move sheet lead so an additional 10% is uncovered (now a
        total of 20%).  Expose again.  Repeat in 10% increments.

        When film is developed, bands of differing density will
        tell you approx. exposure time for your setup.

N>I've been sticking mainly with cold-cathode designs because of
N>the simplicity. For a hot-cathode design, I am not sure how  to heat
N>the  filament and feed in the high voltage without grounding the
N>high voltage...

        A)  Automobile battery + solid-state inverter (sold for
            making 120-v ac from automobile cigarette-lighter
            socket).  Place both on insulated stand.  Result:
            120-ac totally isolated from ground.

        B)  Take 2 hi-voltage xfmrs.  Connect secondary of one to
            to secondary of other.   The primary of 2nd xfmr. is
            now a source of 120-ac (less transformation losses)
            which is isolated from ground by 2x insulation value
            of hi-v. xfmrs.

                                        Brevity is the soul of wit, in
                                        Detroit, USA

                                        Robert Michaels