[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Nikola Tesla

Subject:  Re: Nikola Tesla
  Date:   Sat, 10 May 1997 14:27:11 -0700 (PDT)
  From:   "Edward V. Phillips" <ed-at-alumni.caltech.edu>
    To:    tesla-at-pupman-dot-com

"You are correct of course.  Nobody offers the real inventor of radio
any credit either.  I read somewhere that when old Nickola was told
that Marconi had been successful in sending radio messages across the
Atlantic ocean , Tesla's reply was something like" Well I'm not
suprised, he's using (stealing) 20 of my patents!".
"
Guys:
        Stop beating a dead horse!  No one person "invented radio".
The theoretical work going on from Maxwell's time on laid the
groundwork for the evolution of wireless communications at the end
of the 19th century.  If any single person is to be given credit it
should be Hertz, who "invented" the spark transmitter and measureed
measured its properties in his subsequent experiments which reall
really got things going.  Tesla had a very fundamental tuning patent,
which Marconi was eventually ruled (very correctly) to have infringed.
Marconi was an entrepeneur who used his own experiments plus those
of others to come up with the first practical (and commercial)
wireless communication system.  In that he was a real pioneer (forget
the word inventor).  If Tesla had applied himself to that subject he
might have taken Marconi's place, but he didn't apply himself and
he wasn't recognized.
Ed