[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Transformer

Subject:  Re: Transformer
  Date:   Mon, 12 May 1997 09:58:10 -0500
  From:   "Robert W. Stephens" <rwstephens-at-headwaters-dot-com>
    To:   Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>

> Date:          Sun, 11 May 1997 14:45:21 -0500
> To:            tesla-at-poodle.pupman-dot-com
> Subject:       Transformer
> From:          Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>

> Subject:       Transformer
>        Date:   Sat, 11 May 1996 13:45:33 -0400
>        From:   jbesse pcote <jbesse-at-Quetico.tbaytel-dot-net>
>          To:   Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
>

> Hello,
>

>         I found a microwave transformer and I would like to know if
> anybody
> hase ever tryed to make a tesla with this kind of transformer.
> I have a rotary spark gap and it fires when I turn it on but I don't
> think 2500 volts will be sufishient.

Dear jbesse pcote,

Do I have the pleasure of addressing Stephane?

If you have a rotary spark gap that will fire regularly when attached
to a single microwave oven transformer (approximately 2000 VAC), then
you appear to have an outstanding rotary with contact closures
approaching just a few thousandth's of an inch.  The best machinists
amongst this whole group would envy you if this were true.  Such a
gap would be running so close to binding the contacts when cold, that
it would probably bind and self destruct through electrode heating
expansion during operation (unless the design allows for such
expansion, most don't).

If you can achieve regular commutations with this rotary at that low
voltage, then YES, a Tesla coil is possible, but since your practical
capacitor size is a function of design frequency you will likely be
forced to use a smallish value cap and with such a low charging
voltage your power will be severely limited.  A single microwave
transformer is more commonly employed for a vacuum tube TC where it
is a much better voltage match to the task.

In conclusion I'd highly recommend neon xfmers for a beginners coil.

rwstephens