[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Oil Burner Ignition Transformers

Subject:   Re: Oil Burner Ignition Transformers
  Date:    Mon, 12 May 1997 18:34:23 +0500
  From:   "Alfred A. Skrocki" <alfred.skrocki-at-cybernetworking-dot-com>
    To:    Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>

On Sun, 11 May 1997 16:12:31 -0400 (EDT) Daryl P. Dacko
<mycrump-at-cris-dot-com> wrote;

> It's pretty obvious that there must be quite a few diffrent types of oil
> burner transformers available.
>
> All the OBT's I've used were self-regulating, just like a neon
> transformer. All were rated at 23 Ma., and were desgined to run
> all day long keeping the flame lit in fuel oil furnaces.
>
> Let's keep comparing notes and see what we come up with !

It's starting to look that way Daryl, Tom <tom_mcgahee-at-sigmais-dot-com>
and I have been discussing this very issue! It also appears that it
may be a regional thing, out of curiosity where are you located?
I'm in North East Philadelphia.

Due to the fact that we see to befind both regulated and unregulated
OBT's I would suggest anyone contemplating their use run a simple
test that Tom <tom_mcgahee-at-sigmais-dot-com> suggested;

   "Here is a really simple way to check out whether you actually
   have a 10KV transformer with NO current limiting inside. Put a
   100K resistor in series with the transformer. Turn transformer
   on for just a second or two and measure the voltage. If the
   voltage across the resistor is GREATER than 5KV then the
   transformer is NOT current limited. If it is less than 5KV then
   it definitely IS current limited, and that would mean it has
   magnetic shunts. I have done this test on ALL my ignition
   transformers. ALL the ones I have are current limited.  Be
   aware that the 100K resistor will probably be dissipating about
   200 watts, so keep run time to just a second or two."

If you find that the transfomer(s) you are using has a voltage
across the resistor (in the above test) of over 5KV then use a series
choke in the primary circuit otherwise you don't need to. Realize
also that the only harm from using a series choke on a current
regulated trnsformer is you will get less output that you would
without it. So I would still say if in doubt use a choke.

                               Sincerely

                                \\\|///
                               (  -at- -at-  )
                           Alfred A. Skrocki
                   alfred.skrocki-at-cybernetworking-dot-com
                             .ooo0   0ooo.
                               \_)   (_/