[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Filter Caps etc.

Subject:  Filter Caps etc.
  Date:   Mon, 12 May 1997 20:18:23 +1000
  From:   Peter Electric <elekessy-at-macquarie.matra-dot-com.au>
    To:   tesla-at-pupman-dot-com

Welcome fellow coilers out there from downunder. There doesn't seem to
be many people down here into TC's, (that my search engine finds) if
there are any fellow Aussies building coils, let me know and maybe we
can swap parts, sources of supply etc.
I finally got my TC going on the weekend and now I see why all you guys
spend so much time on them, they're pretty wild machines! So far I'm
getting about 25 - 30 " sparks with a couple of 30Ma 15Kv Neon Xformers
and a  18" by 10" toroid (more of a Jam Doughnut really) made out of a
couple of lamp shades stuck together. Other specs are 0.017 rolled poly
Cap, 3/16" copper tube saucer shaped primary - 4" to 20" tapped at 8
turns and a 3.5 by 20" 22# secondary. I found the Toroid a big
improvement on the 10" sphere I tried first.
I'm having problems with my safety gaps firing all the time! I can't get
the single spark gap (compressed air quenched) open beyond about 3/8". I
have a couple of 40 turn by 6" air core filter chokes but I think it's
time for filter caps as well. "Barium Titanate Doorknobs" appear to be
non-existent here, so can these caps be made the same as the rolled
poly  discharge cap? If so how big should they be and do u need oil etc
or is there a simpler design?

Cheers,
Peter Electric