[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Transformer (2500 volt)

Subject:      Re: Transformer (2500 volt)
       Date:  Wed, 14 May 1997 09:40:36 +1200
       From:  "Malcolm Watts" <MALCOLM-at-directorate.wnp.ac.nz>
         To:   tesla-at-pupman-dot-com

Hi Dave,

> Question, do you really need to add current limiting if you use a
> uwave transformer? I had my waste management friend get me 4 old
> uwaves, all different but similar. Each transformer has shunts,
> aren't they enough to limit the current?
> BTW the xformers look like new, after the dusts is removed, and if
> placed under oil should be quite rugged.
> Dave Huffman

Well microwave ovens don't need external current limiting. You might
get away with two transformers in parallel but I measured the peak
primary currents are in excess of 30A with a poor power factor (230V
mains). The shunts limit the amount of pri-sec coupling. A short on
the secondary causes most of the core flux to work its way through
the shunt.

Malcolm