[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Rebuilt neon

Subject:  Rebuilt neon
  Date:  Tue, 13 May 1997 19:25:08 -0500
  From:  RODERICK MAXWELL <major-at-vicksburg-dot-com>
    To:  Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>

Last night was the first test with one of my rebuilt neon
transformers. It worked like a charm! I built a tank to put it in, out
of plywood coated inside, and out with Evercoat epoxy resin. Then I
filled it with mineral oil. The lid is made of 1/4" plexiglas which I
sealed to the tank with silicone rubber. I was careful not to get any
oil on the lip of the tank before I put on the silicone so I could get a
airtight seal. All connections to the outside world are made though
bolts in the lid. There is a series resistor on each output of the
secondaries, which are also in the bottom of the tank. This should keep
them cool and prevent flashover. The transformer is a 12Kv TRANSCO
transfomer rated at 60ma. I have removed a few of the shunts to get a
little more power output. I estimate my spark length at 16 to 17 inches.
Now I'll have to adjust my spark gap a bit wider to take advantage of
the higher voltage.
   One thing I've noticed in my short career as a coiler if you have
your main gap set a little close your safety gap won't fire, also if you
are close to being in tune it won't fire either.

                                     Frankensteins Helper
                                             Max