[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Top Terminal Shape

Subject: Re: Top Terminal Shape
  Date:  Wed, 14 May 1997 00:30:08 -0400 (EDT)
  From:  richard hull <rhull-at-richmond.infi-dot-net>
    To:  Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>

snip again

>>Richard,
>>
>>With my background in radio astronomy I can support your claim about
>>the primary field being 'effectively in the next galaxy' by the time
>>you get to the top of the secondary,.......however I would consider
>>the field associated with the top region of an excited secondary in this
>>case to
>>have some form of an interplay, albeit of reduced power levels to the
>>primary example, but an interplay with the shorted turn the topload
>>represents, nevertheless.  This *may* explain
>>a part of the different throwing effects seen from a coil system when
>>the large toploading, shorted turn toroid is tried at varying heights
>>above the top secondary turn, over and above what effect the
>>electrostatic field control also being changed has to do with the
>>experiment.
>>
>>I would expect that the shorted turn represented by the toroid, or
>>toroid cluster (when more than one are typically used such as my
>>work) would produce a dampening effect on the slow wave rate of
>>propagation as it approaches the topload end of the secondary.
>>Perhaps my practice of NEVER going to expanded turn spacing at the
>>top several turns of a secondary, but adjusting the top turn-toroid
>>spacing by
>>experiment, creates the same effect of damping the wave near the top end
>>of the secondary.  I have been very successful with my approach.
>>
>>Grey matter cognitive thoughts encouraged!  Those relying solely on
>>spreadsheets and other computer simulations may tackle this problem
>>at great personal risk of failure IMO.
>>
>>rwstephens
>>
>Robert,
Robert,

Just started maggey #12 as a concept demostrator.   This is a radical
departure as it is a largish table top model which I hope to limit to
1KW!
This will hopefully, result in a larger wall mounted maggey #13.
(successor
in power level to maggey 11 series of systems).

It relates to the above discussions and prior posts in that the driver
coil
is about a .6:1 ratio system  The winding is 6" tall on a 10.6" OD form.
(#20 wire).  The normal characteristics hangin' off the end of my bench
in
mid air by a BNC cable are 3.7ohms wire restance.  4mh inductance.
705KHZ
natural res freq.

I built a primary of 5 turns RG-214 (20uh) with a normalized, tuned
coupling
of K=.62!

I jammed the top toroid on the driver (12X4) and the inductance of the
driver droped to 3.92mh  OOPS!  shorted turn coupled a bit to the
secondary.
I need the field control though and it stays where it is.  It is also
coupling to the primary!!  dropped the primary to 19.5uh  (light
coupling
forget it.)  It still stays where it is.  I would rather waste the power
than the field control.  This is one of those judgement calls where a
shorted turn on top of the "shallow" system must be tolerated.  I can
afford
the 20-50 watts of loss more than the coronal bleed to cause arcing in
the
driver system.  I think I'll resist hacksawing my spun toroid to open
the turn.

I'll let you folks know how this puppy works out.

Richard Hull, TCBOR