[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: More magnifier runs

Subject:  Re: More magnifier runs
  Date:   Tue, 1 Apr 1997 18:30:45 +0000
  From:   "Bert Pool" <bertpool-at-flash-dot-net>
    To:   Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
    CC:   bemery-at-why-dot-net

[snip]

> Hi Bert and Wild Bill,
>
> Glad the neighbors were cooperative, that's always a plus, as recent
> posts have shown. An escalating war with neighbors is something none of
> us wants or needs to deal with. I am especially glad you didn't have any
> component failures, since I believe you are using some of my Maxwell
> caps.

I  am using the caps I bought from you, and wouldn't have nearly the
flexibility of operation without them.  Those are some damn rugged
capacitors, they held up up under our 34.5 kv transformer, and Bill
swears we have it wired to put out 100 kv.  I don't know about that,
but on a jacobs ladder, it will jump a 4 inch gap then climb up past
12 inches.  Any cap (two in series, to be precise) that can handle
that is tough.

> You *will* get to 10 feet eventually and if it has to be an inch at a
> time, so be it! The hard fought battles that we win are always sweeter.
> You are headed in the right direction ( although I am not to certain
> about the multi layer driver).

The multilayer thing has some exciting possibilities, mostly in that
you keep high inductance with large equivalent wire size.  We'll be
doing some testing on the multilayer winding of the extra coil.

>I personally would try to tighten up the
> coupling a bit. I am running my magnifier #1 here at a coupling factor
> of .492 and my new magnifier driver #2 which I just completed measures
> .544. I think Richard is running about the same on his magnifier in
> Richmond.

Actually, this driver started out identical to Richard's current #11.
These are our first K measurement attempts, so we might be doing
something wrong either in the measurements or the math.

> Keep up the good work and you will succeed in making the 10 foot club.
> Then you can start shooting for the 20 and 30 foot mark wich is even
> more elusive! Right Greg?
> Onward and upward!
>
> Safe coiling always,
>
> Ed Wingate