[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: More magnifier runs

Subject:   Re: More magnifier runs
  Date:    Wed, 14 May 97 05:14:17 UT
  From:    "Larry Robertson" <LWRobertson-at-msn-dot-com>
    To:    "Tesla Builders" <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>

Your mention of multi-layer coils reminded me
of a chapter in (I think) Ryan's book on high voltage
engineering concerning generating megavolts
for testing purposes. I was pottering in a university
library avoiding productive work, but finding good
stuff in the TKxxxx section.

The apparatus consisted of 10 or 12 sections
maybe a foot or so in diameter, and not much taller,
stacked vertically and separated by small toroids
of about 1.5 to 2 times the diameter of the sections,
0.5 of a diameter thick.

On top was a really big toroid probably 8 times the
section diameter.

Each section was a multilayer solenoid with an iron
core.

The bottom was driven resonantly with a high power
oscillator, which depending on load, was around 2 kHz.

They were using this to test insulators and stuff for HV
transmission equipment.

Whose ghost was that I heard rattle a chain deep in
those dusty stacks?

LR