[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Transformer (2500 volt)

Subject:  c
  Date:   Thu, 15 May 1997 00:17:34 +0500
  From:   "Alfred A. Skrocki" <alfred.skrocki-at-cybernetworking-dot-com>
    To:   Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>

On Wed, 14 May 1997 14:11:40 -0400 (EDT) Ed Sonderman
<Esondrmn-at-aol-dot-com> wrote;

> If oil burner transformers or microwave oven transformers required
> external ballast, you would find a ballast transformer in the
> microwave oven or in the normal oil burner set up in a oil furnace
> - I have never seen either - which of course means, there are probably
> some out there some where.

Yes and no! On the oil burner transformers that I have collected that
are not current limited  I have found that the electrodes that
comprise the spark gap have a resistance of around 100K each, this
would put 200K in series with the secondary and limit the current. I
have also found oil burner transformers with a choke in series with
the primary. The microwave oven transformers that I found that are
not current limited are certainly not unique since several others on
this list have acknowledged that they too have been occasionaly
finding them. If I remember correctly in driving a magnatron the
transformer does not see a short circuit and actualy could be driven
by a normal plate transformer ie. a voltage regulated transformer.

                               Sincerely

                                \\\|///
                               (  -at- -at-  )
                           Alfred A. Skrocki
                   alfred.skrocki-at-cybernetworking-dot-com
                             .ooo0   0ooo.
                               \_)   (_/