[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

RE Re: Oil Burner Ignition

Subject:      RE Re: Oil Burner Ignitio
       Date:  Thu, 15 May 1997 00:32:54 GMT
       From:  robert.michaels-at-online.sme-dot-org (Robert Michaels)
         To:  tesla-at-pupman-dot-com

        FWIW - I've used OBITs on and off for (...nevermind how long!)
               in NON-Tesla hi-voltage this and thats.   I  =always=
               connected them directly to the 120-v ac line.  I have
               never had a burn-out (except as described below).  This
               represents about 1 - 2 dozen transformers.

               I have  =applied=  OBITs in designing ignition and
               control systems for industrial gas furnaces and ovens.
               Again I have always connected the OBITs directly across
               the 120-v ac line (the way God intended!) with no ex-
               ternal current limiting.   I've seen similar designs by
               by others - no external current limiting.

                                - - - - - - -

        BTW -  I've used a modified version of my cascaded-transformer
               idea, using OBITs as the second of the two transformers.

               In the modification, I've applied up to 500-v to the
               120-v ac primary of OBITs spec'd. at 10,000-v. output
               and obtained as much as 50,000-v.

               Such a system seems stable in the 200-300 v. input range.
               At 500-v. input I had two immediate burnouts (after
               about 5 sec. of operation), and one OBIT which handled
               the overload without incident.

                                          Making sparks, in --
                                          Detroit, USA

                                          Robert Michaels