[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Transformer (2500 volt)

Subject:  Re: Transformer (2500 volt)
  Date:   Wed, 14 May 1997 05:16:29 +0500
  From:   "Alfred A. Skrocki" <alfred.skrocki-at-cybernetworking-dot-com>
    To:   Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>

On Wed, 14 May 1997 02:53:33 GMT Jim Fosse
<jim.fosse-at-bjt-dot-net>

> Alfred,
>         If the oil burner transformers are not current limiting, how
> do they drive a gas discharge / arc  (the spark plug used to light the
> oil) without their secondary current becoming infinite?  Gas
> discharges inherently display a negative resistance property.  If they
> are not current limited (for any voltage above their sustaining
> voltage) they will draw as much current as it takes to lower the
> voltage across them to that voltage. Two examples come to mind:
> Mercury vapor: 12V, Neon: 60V. I don't remember the voltages for
> Nitrogen.

On all the oil burner transformers I have found that did not have
current limiting, I found that the electrodes that comprise the spark
gap have a rather high resistance, around 100K ohms each, this would
limit the current. I also found one with a series choke in the
primary circuit to current limit it.

                               Sincerely

                                \\\|///
                               (  -at- -at-  )
                           Alfred A. Skrocki
                   alfred.skrocki-at-cybernetworking-dot-com
                             .ooo0   0ooo.
                               \_)   (_/