[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Resonant TC Electrostatic Fields

Subject:  Re: Resonant TC Electrostatic Fields
  Date:   Wed, 14 May 1997 01:20:50 -0400 (EDT)
  From:   richard hull <rhull-at-richmond.infi-dot-net>
    To:   Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>

At 01:08 AM 5/13/97 -0500, you wrote:
>Subject:  Resonant TC Electrostatic Fields
>  Date:   Mon, 12 May 1997 22:24:47 -0500 (CDT)
>  From:   rwall-at-ix-dot-netcom-dot-com (Richard Wayne Wall)
>    To:   Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
>

>5/12/97
>
>It's true that there is magnetic coupling between the primary and
>secondary of a classic TC.  NT did a lot of work in his later years
>with electrostatics and longitudnal electricity in his coils.  Some
>provocative posts have been written in this regard.
>
>Most TCers are hung up on only magnetic fields transferring energy in
>TCs. To be sure, there is mutual inductance and magnetic coupling
>between primary and secondary.  But, there are also resonant
>electrostatic fields that couple between the primary and secondary.
>These are special fields in that there may be superpositioning of the
>electrostatic fields as opposed to macromagnetic fields that do not
>superpose.  Both the secondary and primary have inherent isotropic
>capacities that exchange energy as they resonate.  Perhaps energy
>passes one way magnetically and the other electrostatically.  Resonant
>voltage rise probably has more to do with intrinsic coil capacities and
>electrostatic electricity in an active rather than passive role.  There
>is mutual coupling between both the magnetic as well as the
>electrostatic components of conventional Tesla Coils.  Each requires
>the other.  It is error to consider only electromagnetic energy
>transfer to the exclusion of electrostatic energy transfer.
>
>An attempt to measure static capacities in both primary and
>secondary coils should be carried out.  Measurement with the TC coil
>assembled to determine mutual capacitance, coupling and electrostatic
>fields of both primary and secondary statically and dynamically should
>be attempted.  This is a good place for gradiometer (directional
>electrometer) field measurement while driving the coils with a signal
>generator.
>
>RWW

Richard,

This is an interesting post.  I have considered ideas regarding
electrostatic waves (little or no magnetic component).  This is all a
bit
theoretical and forces a red blast of livid palor on the dyed in the
wool
electrodynamicist.

It is interesting to note that one of the main mission goals of the
tethered
satellite wire shuttle experiment was to investigate the propigation and
characteristics of "electrostatic waves"  in addition to electromagnetic
waves.  This formal printed statement must have gotten past the NASA
electrodynamic sensors!  Still, the chink is in the armour and lots of
mainliners are doing closet stuff or thinking closeted thoughts along
these
lines.  I am amazed at the number of retiring respected physicists who
are
writing books about the problems in physics and taking positions they
would
dare not have taken out loud when employed or accepting grant money.

I will let this go at that and continue investigating the most
intersting
aspects of the Tesla coil while having a blast just building and
watching
them, too.

Richard Hull, TCBOR