[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: 10 tests and suddenly...RRRAAAATTTTT!!!

Subject:   Re: 10 tests and suddenly...RRRAAAATTTTT!!!
  Date:    Thu, 15 May 1997 12:27:12 Eastern Daylight Time
  From:   "Mad Coile{" <ts5815-at-devrycols.edu>
    To:    Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>

>Subject:  10 tests and suddenly...RRRAAAATTTTT!!!
>  Date:  Sun, 11 May 1997 03:42:01 +0200
>  From:  tesla <tesla-at-ixx.se>
>    To:  tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
>

>I gotta tell you i really didn't think i would ever get this thing to
>work.
>The first 1-7 times we struggled with different configurations with my
>two
>saltwater caps. We tried large capacitance and small and we probably
>tried
>all combinations in wiring the components together. What happened was
>nothing!
>We didn't even get corona in the caps.
>
>So the next 2 times i tried to wind new primaries and that did seem to
>help
>somewhat. We got some sparks hitting the secondary from the
>primary.(Lyckily
>it was only to a bad solder that has now been fixed and insulated)
>And we actually got the thing to burn two times at different places.
>At those two times we got some puny 3" thin blue sparks from the toroid
>a grounded lifting jack. We got soo happy that something at all happened
>that
>it took us about 5 seconds to notice the little forest fire at the back
>of
>the coil. No harm to the coil though, just minor burns to two of the
>primary
>plexi holders.
>
>Oh well, at the last session we actually got a different sound in the
>spark
>gap
>and some nice corona clouds appeared at the bottom of the coil. I think
>i did some sort of happy dance and shouted "-It works!". Well, i
>shouldn't
>have
>done that, the next second a white hot arc shot up from the 4'th or 5'th
>turn
>on the primary to the secondary. I turned off power really fast!
>No harm still done to the coil. Some new fresh polyurethane to the
>bottom
>af the
>secondary and it was set to dry until the next session.
>The next time we didn't get any results at all. I saw the problem wich
>seemed
>to reside in the saltwater caps. Small yellow and blue sparks were
>surrounding
>all my bottles. This sessioen ended rapidly and i said to myself -"What
>i need
>is a good cap!"
>My disappointment was HUGE! (Well, i was sorta happy that we got some
>sort of
>oscillation in the tank circuit on the previous session)
>
>Now don't think that i haven't done any calculations or do things the
>"Edison"
>way from the beginning, even though it may look so. Every piece of the
>coil
>is calculated and measured as according to all formulas and
> [...]

Not to bad! I'd like to get 3-4 footers out of my coil. I currently have
one
TC I made (my first one) for about 20$. I use the salt water caps. Do
you
think that the new caps you used made the big difference? If they do
then
maybe I should try something like them rather than my salt water caps.
Like
you stated, I also got little prple bolts all around my salt water caps
but
I easilly suppresed these with about a half inch of 10W-30 oil. My
primary
caps discharge with enough power to ark weld - my spark gap contacts
that
have been used only for about 3 weeks are severly burn't red and brown.
My
secondary is 15" long of 3.5" PVC, and I am getting about 6" of heavy
descharge.  Any suggestions, I'd like to get that out to a couple of
feet
when I gat some more transformers.

Mad Coiler ts5815-at-devrycols.edu