[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

spark length (20")

Subject:  spark length
  Date:   Thu, 15 May 1997 18:49:52 -0500
  From:    RODERICK MAXWELL <major-at-vicksburg-dot-com>
    To:    Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>

I have been using the "new" 12Kv transformer on my tesla coil and I
have gotten my longest spark yet after I got it in tune on the 12th
turn. My spark lentgh has jumped to 20"! The improvement came also from
the use of a toroid instead of a sphere. The toroid was made from a
solid rubber lawnmower tire. I knocked out the plastic rim and
substituted it with a acrylic disk. Then I covered the whole thing with
aluminum tape. Also I opened up my gaps quite a bit. Last weekend I
installed an antistrike rail just in case it got unruly. Can anyone tell
me how many gaps I should have at 12Kv. Thanks!

                                  Frankensteins Helper
                                           Max