[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Illegal

Subject:  Re: Illegal
  Date:   Fri, 16 May 1997 00:35:16 -0400 (EDT)
  From:   richard hull <rhull-at-richmond.infi-dot-net>
    To:   Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>

At 01:00 AM 5/14/97 -0500, you wrote:
>Subject:  Re: Illegal
>  Date:   Tue, 13 May 1997 19:39:41 -0700 (PDT)
>  From:  "Edward V. Phillips" <ed-at-alumni.caltech.edu>
>    To:  tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
>

>"Does anyone think I will get arrested for operating a Tesla Coil?
>
>Any comments of suggestion?"
>
>Gary:
>        Just follow the golden rule.  I'd get plenty irritated irf
>if one of my neighbors was running even my rather small coil outdoors
>after I had gone to bed.  Late night noises aren't welcome to those
>who have to get up early.  Inviting the neighbors out is the best
>idea.  That's what Bill Wysock, our local "big coiler" does, and
>apparently he lives in peace.
>Ed

Ed,

The situation is quite complicated there.  Bill may have ticked the
neighbors off in the past for I believe he could no longer run big stuff
at
his old address.  He no longer lives there I am given to understand.
Most
of his stuff is so big, he makes a single big splash and invites large
groups for firings at fairs, gatherings, sysmposiums, etc.  Sometimes in
concert with and the blessings of the local fire department.

If Brent is reading this, perhaps he could confirm or deny this.

Big stuff is big stuff and some neighbors, invitied or not will freak
out,
and it only takes one to get a court order or point to some arcane,
restricitve fire or electrical ordinance.  The police will always err on
the
side of caution and caution is always keeping the "peace.. and quiet".
No
body ever complains to the police that there neighborhood is too quiet
and
too peaceful.  I have never heard of an instance of where neighbors
banned
together to import a coiler into their neighborhood!

 Often, if the coiler appears defiant, this will send the police into a
negative mode and they may choose to work with the complaintant in
serach of
the legal precedent, ordinance or catch 22 which will shut the coiler
down.
Be as polite to the police as possible all ye coilers.  This may not win
the
day in your favor ultimately, but it won't hasten their effort to shut
you
down either.

If the cops show up at all you are in for a rough go of it in future no
matter what!

Richard Hull, TCBOR