[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Transformer (2500 volt)

Subject:  Re: Transformer (2500 volt)
  Date:  Sat, 17 May 1997 20:29:26 -0400 (EDT)
  From: FutureT-at-aol-dot-com
    To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com

<< > I used 4 uwave transformers in series to drive a TC and produced
65"
> > sparks. I did not use any external current limiting, and the system
> > drew about 6000 VA.

> >From what I've been seeing they must have been residential units, the
> industrial one see to require the external current limiting. You put
> FOUR microwave transformers in series! I've been experimenting with
> such hook ups, did you add any insulation on those secondaries? On
> most that I've seen it didn't look like the secondaries would hold up
> too well at 10-KV. I assume you disconected the connection from the
> secondary to the core that most seem to have.

Alfred,     Yes, these were residential units, I haven't come across any
of
the industrial ones yet.  I didn't add any insulation; I also didn't
disconnect the sec. connection from the core.  I grounded the cores of
the
"middle" two transformers and then connected the cores of the "outer"
two
transformers to the hot sides of the middle two (hope this is clear).
During
operation, I could see corona sparkling between the windings and core.
This
was just a short-term test, so I didn't worry about it.  For longer term
use
I would have dumped the "outer" transformers into oil and disconnected
the
sec wire from the core.  My two outer cores were electrically "hot" so I
placed them within an insulated cabinet for safety.

> > Perhaps it would have been a little more efficient using some extra
> > inductive ballasting, but I didn't try adding any.

 >I don't think adding any inductance would make your Coil any more
 >efficient, John. If you wanted to make it more effecient you would
> add some capacitance to make it resonate with the 60 cycle line and
> improve the power factor a tad.

My reasoning here was that maybe extra inductance would reduce
transformer
saturation; these transformers are so inefficient.  By limiting my input
current, the sparks might be a little shorter, but my current input
might be
considerably less.  Just turning down the input voltage might be better
though.

John Freau