[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Idea for air-quenching RSG's

Subject:  Re: Idea for air-quenching RSG's
  Date:  Sat, 17 May 1997 13:02:33 -0400 (EDT)
  From:  richard hull <rhull-at-richmond.infi-dot-net>
    To:  Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>

At 01:22 AM 5/17/97 -0500, you wrote:
>Subject:  Idea for air-quenching RSG's
>  Date:   Sat, 17 May 1997 04:04:01 +1000 (EST)
>  From:   Rodney Davies <rgd872-at-anu.edu.au>
>    To:  tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
>

>Hi All,
>

>I have an idea for a stationary electrode design for air-quenching on
>RSG's.
>
>Ok, simply take the stationary electrodes an drill a hole (probably no
>more than 1/8" straight through the middle of it (down the length of the
>rod, basically hollowing it out). Next, attach a compressor hose to the
>end of the electrode (obviously not the arcing end) and reset into the
>RSG
>supports.
>
>Diagram -
>
>              (length view)                    ____   (arc end view
>looking
>        ------------------------------\       /    \   up the length of
>the
>hollow  ===============================|      | () |   electrode. Note
>hole
>        ------------------------------/       \____/   in centre of
>shaft.)
>
>       ^^^---- Attach hose to this end
>
>Hopefully that gives a clearer view.
>
>Anyhow, my theory is that by controling the air pressure going down the
>electrode, you can help control the quench time.
>Also, by having the air exiting the electrode at the end (from the
>centre
>hole) the air flow should distribute in an even manner outwards.
>

>air flow ---+
>        ____ ____
>        |  | |  |
>        |  | |  |
>        |  | |  |   <--- Stationary Electrode (hollowed out)
>        |  | |  |
>        |  | |  |
>        |  | |  |
>        |  | |  |
>        |  | |  |
>        |  | |  |
>        |  | |  |
>        +--+ +--+    <--- exit point
> <----\____/ \____/--->  Air flow out.
>        _________
>        |       |
>        |       |
>        |       |     <---- Rotating electrode (solid)
>        |       |
>  ------|       |------
>

>Theoretically, this should do a couple of neat things -
>1) Quench the gap evenly.
>2) Keep the electrodes reasonably cool (depending on air pressure).
>3) The spark propogation time should be short but with a lot of power.
>
>I haven't tried this design yet, but I think it might work quite well.
>
>My main idea here is keeping an even air-flow distribution across the
>electrode ends as apposed to blowing it from the side, which is uneven,
>which perhaps effects the spark lifetime and dwell time.
>
>>From what I know, the quicker you get that spark out, the more power
>remains in the secondary coil and is not re-coupled back to the primary.

> [...]
Rod,

Your idea will surely work well.  Naturally, the tubing to the electrode
should be heat resistant, totally non-conducting, etc.  The quench might
even be controlled partially by the air pressure!  I would probably
place
the air channel skewed slightly to the trailing side of the point to
assist
with blow out as the points receed.  Of course, all would have to be
checked
in actual use.

Not a simple gap to build or use.  This is especially the case if you
must
use tungsten electrodes.  A diamond drill would be demanded.

Richard Hull, TCBOR