[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: windng with pieces of wire

Subject:  Re: windng with pieces of wire
  Date:  Sat, 17 May 1997 19:04:31 +0300 (EET DST)
  From:  Kristian Ukkonen <kukkonen-at-cc.hut.fi>
    To:  Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>

On Sat, 17 May 1997, Tesla List wrote:

> Subject:  Re: K Factors
>   Date:   Fri, 16 May 1997 23:18:51 +0500
>   From:   "Alfred A. Skrocki" <alfred.skrocki-at-cybernetworking-dot-com>
>     To:    Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
>
> techniques available today, so I might try it again. If it works
> (building a secondary of several short lengths of wire) it could be a
> savings! I know I have a lot less dificulty finding short lengths of
> wire than I do finding long continous lengths and their always
> cheaper too!

Nothing like winding half of secondary/resonator and accidentally using
too much force - resulting in wire snapping.. Or noticing that the cheap
spool of wire doesn't have a continuous piece of wire but several
pieces..

I have several times used solder to fix the situation above and it has
worked well every time. I do first hammer the ends of wires flat, apply
solder to one side, use a clamp to press the flats together and apply
heat
to get a good soldering. After this I have a nice connection (about
20mm)
which is flat. I do then use file and finishing paper to reshape the
connection into a round shape. After this (it look like there is no
connection)  I do apply a thin layer of epoxy on top of the connection
replace the originally removed insulation.

This does not work well on very thin wires though :) but something like
0.6 mm dia wire is not a problem.

  Kristian Ukkonen.

| Kristian Ukkonen       |  Do as thou wilt shall be the whole of the
law |
| kukkonen-at-alpha.hut.fi  |_____  Chance favours the prepared mind
|-------
| http://www.hut.fi/~kukkonen |  Fear is the mind-killer  |---------