[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: streamer impedance

Subject:  Re: streamer impedance
  Date:   Sat, 17 May 1997 13:17:37 -0400 (EDT)
  From:   richard hull <rhull-at-richmond.infi-dot-net>
    To:   Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>

At 01:31 AM 5/17/97 -0500, you wrote:
>Subject:  Re: streamer impedance
>  Date:   Fri, 16 May 1997 20:20:42 -0700 (PDT)
>  From:   "Edward V. Phillips" <ed-at-alumni.caltech.edu>
>    To:  tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
>

>        As far as the speed with which the impedance varies,
>I'm sure that has been explored.  There was something in the
>TCBA News a while back about some measurements of current
>waveforms and, I believe, harmonics.  I know that the harmonic
>output of my coils here seems relatively small.  While the
>coils are not good radiators at their fundamental or their
>lower harmonics, would expect to hear quite a bit of third
>and fifth harmonics here and haven 't observed that.  Of course,
>don't let the coil in the attic of the garage run very long
>while I run into the house and tune the receiver!
>        Been intending to bring home a spectrum analyzer and
>do some observations.  Haven't had the ambition as yet.
>Ed

Ed,

Good TCs are never good radiators of RF energy.  This is why I have
harped
on the anti-radio theory campaign so long.  What makes a radio
transmitter
work well is what limits a Tesla coil, and vice versa.  A good coil,
doing
its best spark work, should radiate little RF, especially at its
resonant
frequency.  The fact that you observed this shows good coil design at
your end.

We want all the energy in the spark and zippo (or near zippo) in
electromagnetic radiation.  I have often wondered  if in the white hot
air
arcs to grounded objects from Nemesis or a big maggey, all the air arc
energy is not now concentrated in the AM 2-10 meter band.  It might bear
some fractional wavelength relationship to the actual conductive arc
pathway
to ground. (combo nonlinear arc and re-radiator element!)  The resoant
rise
of the Tesla coil might just supply seed energy to another RF
radiational
system.  I am sure it is comlplex as hell though.

Richard Hull, TCBOR